December 02, 2019 | Justine Hoover
Our December recipe of the month is Mushroom Quinoa. This recipe includes sautéed mushrooms, and any recipe with sautéed mushrooms is a win for me. The mushrooms are cooked with onions, garlic, herbs, ground black pepper, and salt. At the end, cooked quinoa is stirred in to make a tasty side dish. If you are not a mushroom lover like me, you can substitute a different soft vegetable such as bell peppers or zucchini.
Since I love any recipe with mushrooms, this recipe is the perfect lead in for a theme we are going to explore all month. We are each going to take a week to share our favorite Spend Smart. Eat Smart. recipes with you. To start us off, here are some of my favorites:
- Soup: Autumn Soup, I like the smooth texture and the rich flavor of this soup. I use it often in the fall when winter squash is abundant.
- Salad: Croutons, I know this is not technically a salad, but these homemade croutons make it more likely that my family will eat salad.
- Main Dish: Black Bean Burgers, my family loves burgers and this is an economical and tasty way to serve them more often.
- Side Dish: No Knead Whole Wheat Bread, my family will eat this homemade bread for any meal or snack, it also makes a great grilled cheese sandwich.
- Snack/Dessert: Frozen Pudding Sandwiches, my children often request these and they can double as a snack or a dessert.
Please comment below with your favorite recipes, we would love to know.