Flipping for Pancakes!
November 21, 2022 | Katy Moscoso
Pancakes, or as my preschooler used to call them ‘pam-papes’, are a fan favorite at our house. Below are the top 5 reasons why I am always on board when pancakes are requested for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Why do we love pancakes?
- You only need a few ingredients to make pancakes at home. When we are running low on groceries towards the end of the month, I always know I have the basics to make a batch of pancakes- flour, milk, an egg, baking powder and baking soda. Continue reading to learn about our favorite add-ins!
- Pancakes are great for any meal of the day. Pancakes are a quick, easy food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I can whip up a batch (or two) in less than 10 minutes, which is helpful on busier days.
- They can be made in large batches to freeze. I love making a double batch of pancakes when my skillet is already hot. Pancakes are a good option to freeze for later. My preschooler loves pancakes, so keeping a bag in the freezer makes it easy for us to get her breakfast in the morning before heading to school.
- They are a perfect blank canvas. Add different fruits and spices to change the taste. For a special treat, add chocolate chips!
- Kid (& baby!) friendly. Pancakes are a great first food. When our daughter was starting to try solid foods, we would add ingredients like spinach, bananas, and even mashed sweet potatoes to introduce her to different flavors. I loved making these Oatmeal Pancakes when she was younger and adding cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. For a fun spin on mealtime, cut pancakes into strips or make different shapes.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart. has several pancake recipes that my family enjoys. Personally, I don’t like plain pancakes, so I prefer adding fruit like blueberries in the Blueberry Pancakes or a can of pumpkin for Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes. I have been reading a few blogs that have highlighted savory pancakes. I have not tried adding breakfast meats to my basic pancake recipe yet, but I think I might give it a try! Whenever you need a fast, filling meal, do what my family does and reach for a pancake recipe- you won’t be disappointed!
Cheers to adding pancakes into your recipe rotation!