Go with the Whole Grain this Summer—Take the Challenge!
June 27, 2016 | Jody Gatewood
By Food Science and Human Nutrition student guest blogger
This summer try the whole grain challenge. The challenge: Make half (or more!) of your grains whole grains for a week.
The best way to include whole grains in your diet is to substitute whole grain products for refined grains in things you already make and love.
Here are some fun, tasty ideas for how to incorporate whole grains into your busy summer:
- Use whole grain tortillas for wraps
- Make sandwiches using whole wheat bread
- Peanut Butter Pita Pockets
Snack Ideas for the poolside or road tripping
- Enjoy popcorn, with light salt and oil
- Fix pizza with a whole wheat crust, add veggies for a more nutritious punch
BBQ in the backyard
- Substitute whole grain crackers and dip for the usual chips and dip
- Put burgers on whole wheat buns
- Zesty Whole Grain Salad
- Cheesy Pasta with Summer Vegetables
Adding whole grains to your diet doesn’t have to be hard. Just sub whole grains for refined, and you’ve already won the challenge!