Meals In 30 Minutes Featuring Sweet and Sour Rice
December 02, 2013 | Peggy Martin
The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of the busiest in the year. I like to make “all in one meals” on the stove that are quick and healthy. The recipes I look for include three or four food groups all in one dish. Most of the time I have enough left over to take for lunch the next day. This saves me money and time!
Our featured recipe this month, Sweet and Sour Rice, allows you to use one pan to cook the chicken, vegetables and sauce. The sweet and sour sauce is super easy and economical. I hate buying a sauce, using it once and then watching it spoil in the fridge. My family liked this sauce better than bottled!
The SpendSmartEatSmart web site has many more recipes that are quick and only use a pan or two so clean up is quick.
Sweet and Sour Rice
Serving Size: 2/3 cup rice and 1 1/4 cup topping Serves: 5 Cost Per Serving: $1.26
- 16 ounces chicken (skinless, boneless)
- 1 bag (16-ounce) frozen stir-fry veggies
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups instant uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce (make your own or use prepared sauce)*
- 1 can (8-ounce) pineapple chunks with juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Cut chicken into 3/4 inch pieces. Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Remove stir-fry veggies from freezer to thaw.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken to a bowl and set aside. Set frying pan aside.
- Heat water for rice to boiling. Add rice. Let rice cook according to the package directions.
- Return skillet (used to cook chicken) to the stove. Add sauce ingredients. Cook over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, or add the prepared sweet and sour sauce.
- Stir in the pineapple (un-drained), vegetables, and chicken. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken and veggie mixture on top of the rice.
You can substitute 2 cups cooked chicken in this recipe. Just add it at step six. Cook for about 5 minutes to heat it through.