Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
Rice and Red Beans
Serving Size: 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup vegetables and beans
- 1/2 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely diced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) red beans (rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups instant brown rice, cooked
- Place oil in large skillet and heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, green pepper, celery, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add beans and simmer. Stir mixture every once in a while until heated through.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Spoon the vegetable and bean mixture over rice.
Use a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes (drained) if fresh tomatoes are not available.
This recipe can be used as a main dish, side dish, or a filling for tortillas.
Nutrition Facts8 Servings Per Container
Serving Size: 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup vegetables
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 130mg
- Total Carbohydrates 49g
- Dietary Fiber 7g
- Total Sugars 2g
- Added Sugars
- Protein 9g
- Vitamin D 0mcg
- Calcium 46mg
- Iron 1mg
- Potassium 277mg
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
NA* - We are currently in the process of integrating the new FDA Nutrition Standards. Added Sugar information is not currently avaliable for the recipe. We will be updating the information shortly.