Whole Wheat Bread
- Fiber: Helps to reach and maintain a healthy weight by being more filling than low-fiber foods. Helps reduce cholesterol levels and may lower your risk of heart disease.
- Folate: May help prevent heart disease, anemia, and cancer. Prevents some birth defects, such as spina bifida.
- Look for whole wheat flour as the first ingredient.
- Check the front of the package for the statement “Made with 100% Whole Grain.”
- To learn more about choosing whole wheat bread, watch How to Choose Whole Wheat Bread.
- Store bread that will be used soon at room temperature.
- Freeze bread in airtight freezer packaging and use within 6 months.
- Storing bread in the refrigerator can cause it to dry out.
- Nearly stale bread is great for making French toast, stuffing, bread crumbs, or croutons.