Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1/2 pound ground meat (beef or turkey)
- 1/2 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 can (24 ounces) spaghetti or pasta sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 container (12 ounces) cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook ground meat and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Stirring continuously.
- Add spinach, spaghetti sauce, garlic, and water to skillet. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Add noodles. Stir until noodles are covered by liquid. Cover with a lid. Turn heat to low and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add a small amount of water, if needed, to prevent sticking, no more than ¼ cup at a time. Stir well.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Do not stir. Put the lid on and cook 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and noodles are tender.
To reduce the amount of fat on the ground beef, after step 1 transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl and rinse with hot water. Return hamburger mixture to skillet. Let fat harden and throw away in the garbage. Watch the video How to Drain Ground Beef.
Replace frozen spinach with 3 cups fresh spinach or 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots or other frozen vegetables.
To get all of the spaghetti sauce out of the can, pour the 1 cup of water into the can and swish around before adding to the skillet.
Nutrition Facts8 Servings Per Recipe
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 680mg
- Total Carbohydrates 30g
- Dietary Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 7g
- Includes 1g Added Sugars
- Protein 19g
- Vitamin D 0mcg
- Calcium 149mg
- Iron 3mg
- Potassium 535mg
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.