Best Baked Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 medium potato
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Heat oven to 425°F. A preheated oven reduces total cooking time.
- Scrub the potatoes under cold running water and pat dry.
- Prick each potato twice with a fork.
- Place potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake about 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked through. Bake at least 4 potatoes at one time for energy efficiency. Consider baking more potatoes than needed for one meal and refrigerate the extras for a next day meal.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the oven using oven mitts or tongs.
- Serve immediately or let cool, then refrigerate in a plastic bag and use within 4 days. The potatoes will “sweat” inside the bag if you do not let them cool before you put them in the bag. Placing the potatoes in a sealed bag helps prevent them from drying out.
Choose potatoes labeled for baking. Russets and other baking potatoes have a drier texture and a thicker skin. Red skinned potatoes tend to have a thinner skin and a more waxy texture. Some yellow and purple potatoes also are good for baking.
Potatoes are readily available and inexpensive all year long.
Nutrition Facts4 Servings Per Recipe
Serving Size: 1 potato
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 15mg
- Total Carbohydrates 37g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 2g
- Added Sugars
- Protein 4g
- Vitamin D 0mcg
- Calcium 26mg
- Iron 2mg
- Potassium 905mg
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
NA* - We are currently in the process of integrating the new FDA Nutrition Standards. Added Sugar information is not currently available for the recipe. We will be updating the information shortly.