April 24, 2017 | Christine Hradek
Each spring I love watching the plants pop up out of the ground. Some days I feel like I can see the plants growing in my yard. Now that we are in April, more and more fresh spring produce is popping up in the stores and in gardens.
Buying fruits and vegetables that are in season gets you the tastiest produce for the least cost. Here are some fruits and vegetables that are in season in the spring:
- Asparagus – snap off the woody ends and grill, steam, or roast.
- Broccoli – cut into florets and eat raw, steam, or roast.
- Rhubarb – eat only the reddish stalk; find out more on the AnswerLine Blog.
- Snow peas – eat raw or add to stir-fry.
- Spinach – eat in a salad, top off a sandwich, or add to a smoothie.
- Strawberries – eat on their own or as a topping to your favorite dessert.
I hope you get to enjoy some fresh spring produce this week!