Be Active Your Way Every Day
March 27, 2017 | Jody Gatewood
Here are the current recommendations for physical activity:
- Adults should get at least 2 ½ hours of aerobic physical activity each week. This type of activity works your heart and lungs such as walking, running, or swimming.
- If you break up the 2 ½ hours over the week, this means being active for 30 minutes 5 days of the week.
- When your schedule is busy or you are just starting to be more physically active, do it in small segments of 10 minutes or so. To get in your 30 minutes of activity for the day you could walk for 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes at lunch, and 10 minutes in the evening.
- It is also recommended to do strength and flexibility training 2-3 times a week. This could be lifting weights, stretching, or doing exercises like squats and push-ups.
- Children need to get 60 minutes or more of active play every day.
There are many ways to be active such as biking, gardening, dancing, and playing outside. When it comes to being active, the important thing is to find something you enjoy doing that moves your body!