Pineapple Snack Cakes
April 04, 2016 | Justine Hoover
At the grocery store where I shop, they often have canned pineapple on special. It is usually a great deal on a great tasting and nutritious fruit. My family loves canned pineapple as a side dish for any meal, so I buy it often. My husband and son even like to drain the juice off and save it to drink later. Our April recipe is a new way to use canned pineapple – as a snack cake.
A 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple is drained and patted dry then mixed with typical muffin ingredients and baked to make Pineapple Snack Cakes. These snack cakes are versatile and can be used as a snack, side dish, or dessert. Next time you find a deal on crushed pineapple, try out this Pineapple Snack Cake recipe!
Pineapple Snack Cakes
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple in 100% juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Drain juice from the pineapple into a cup or bowl. Save the juice for step 4. Dab pineapple with a paper towel to dry.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, all purpose white flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Beat sugar, oil, vanilla, and 1/4 cup of the saved pineapple juice until combined. Beat in eggs. Stir in the crushed pineapple.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Divide the batter into the muffin tins.
- Bake until the snack cakes are golden and a tester inserted into the center of a snack cake comes out clean, about 18–20 minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Pineapple Snack Cakes are great as a side dish to any meal or as a snack.
- Use pineapple tidbits or chunks instead of crushed pineapple. Drain well and finely chop.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of coconut or walnuts on top of each snack cake before baking.
- Save extra pineapple juice to add to a salad dressing, fruit salad, or smoothie.