Peanut Butter Balls
July 06, 2015 | Justine Hoover
My children are at an age when they need to eat two snacks every day. Just last week I skipped the morning snack one day because we went to the library and on a bike ride. By lunch time both of them were laying on the couch crying. I made a quick lunch, got them fed, and all was good again, but it reminded me how important snack time is for young children. Their bodies are growing, but their stomachs are still small, so they need their food spaced evenly throughout the day.
If you are looking for a new snack for your family, try out our July recipe – Peanut Butter Balls. They have peanut butter, beans, and oatmeal – all of which will give you energy and fill you up until your next meal. After I make this recipe, I lay the peanut butter balls out on a cookie sheet and freeze them for about an hour. Once they are frozen, I put them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer. When snack time comes around, I grab two out of the freezer for each person, let them thaw for a few minutes, and then we enjoy them.
I hope you enjoy this Peanut Butter Ball recipe too!
Peanut Butter Balls
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- Mash the great northern beans with a fork in a bowl until smooth.
- Add the honey and vanilla. Stir.
- Add peanut butter. Stir until blended.
- Stir in the oatmeal.
- Wash hands. Use a tablespoon to scoop up some of the peanut butter mixture. Shape the mixture into balls (makes 50 balls).
- Store leftover balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe is not for children under age 1 because it contains honey and peanut butter.
- You can use a blender or food processor to mix ingredients before shaping into balls.
- You can store peanut butter balls in the freezer. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, freeze, and then store in a freezer bag. Thaw for 5 minutes before serving.
- Make fruit kebabs using a toothpick or kebab stick. Add washed fresh fruit pieces that will not brown such as kiwi slices, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, and orange slices.