Featured Recipe: Tzatziki with Pita Chips
June 02, 2014 | Peggy Martin
Last month I went to a nice restaurant with my sisters and friends before a play. I ordered a Greek Salad plate. It was delicious, but as I looked at it I thought, “I could make this so easily at home”. The salad was a combination of romaine and other lettuces, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, red onion, and feta cheese with some pita bread on the side. The dressing looked and tasted just like our Tzatziki recipe which is so simple and inexpensive to make. Just remember, the flavors in the Tzatziki only get better if you make it the day before you plan to use it. It keeps for 4 days in the refrigerator.
Besides using the Tzatziki as a dressing, it is a great dip for vegetables and pita chips. It is so fresh tasting. Homemade pita chips are also super easy to make and allow you to control the amount and type of fat you add to them.
Tzatziki with Pita Chips
Serving Size: 1/4 cup Tzatziki with 6 chips | Serves: 8 (makes 2 1/2 cups) | Cost Per Serving: $.57
- 1 unpeeled cucumber, washed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and minced (about 1-2 cloves)
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill and/or fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for Pita Chips:
- 6 whole wheat pita pockets (6”)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon spice (choose one or combine dried rosemary, basil, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper)
- Use a spoon to scrape out cucumber seeds. Dice the cucumber into small pieces or shred using a grater.
- Spread cucumber on two or three layers of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Roll up the towels and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Transfer dried cucumber to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Cover and refrigerate until served.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut pita in 8 wedges, spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Toast chips 4-5 minutes, then turn and toast 1-2 minutes more. (Watch carefully at the end because they can quickly turn brown.)