Super Bowl Tostada Party
January 27, 2014 | Peggy Martin
Whether you are a Broncos fan, Seahawks fan or just watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, you might be pondering what to serve while the big game is on. Consider our Make Your Own Tostadas. They are super economical (about .40 each) and easy. If you prepare the toppings and bake the tostadas the day before or during the pregame you won’t have to be in the kitchen while everyone else is watching the game.
For special occasions like this I like to set up a buffet table so everyone can help themselves. In addition to the tostadas, I would add a big platter of fruit and tray of brownies/cookies. To keep the refried beans warm I would put them in a slow cooker on low. If they get dry, add a little water or tomato juice and stir.
Make Your Own Tostadas
Serving Size: 1 tostada Serves: 10 Cost Per Serving: $.36
- 10 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- Cooking spray
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat free refried beans
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Nonfat sour cream
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place tortillas in a single layer on baking sheets. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake for 5-7 minutes, flip over, and bake 5-7 minutes more until crisp.
- Put refried beans in microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave while tortillas bake. Stir beans so they heat evenly.
- Spread a thin layer of hot beans on baked tortillas.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Options Cut tortillas into snack size servings before baking. Use as dippers.
- Wear plastic gloves to handle hot peppers. No gloves? Wash hands with soap and water before touching your face, your cooking utensils, or another person.
- Save extra baked tortillas in an airtight container.