It’s Too Hot To Cook!
July 18, 2011 | Peggy Martin
Who wants to cook when it is this hot? Not me. But, I still want to eat! Here are some ideas for quick, easy, inexpensive meals with links to my favorite SpendSmart.EatSmart. recipes.
Make Fruit A Meal
- sweet, juicy melons or berries with a side of cottage cheese and whole wheat bread
- yogurt topped with fruit and granola
- Yogurt Parfaits
- Fresh Fruit Cocktail
- Fruit Salsa
- Mango Salsa
- Fruit Smoothies
- Breakfast Splits
- Waldorf Summer Salad
- Summer Bounty Salad
- Pasta Salad
- Grill vegetables like onions, zucchini, peppers, eggplant, mushrooms and potatoes. Here’s how …
- Just slice them 1/4 – 1/2-inch thick and marinate in whatever Italian salad dressing or vinaigrette you have on hand. (If you use potatoes you need to microwave them for a few minutes before you put them on the grill.)
- Preheat the grill, then either use a grill basket or lay right on the oiled grate.
- Grill over medium heat for 5-20 minutes depending on the vegetable. Sometimes I make skewers with chunks of beef or chicken, but I can make a meal of just vegetables.
Top Of The Stove Dishes – These dishes don’t take long to make, and when I am cooking, I make extra so I can just reheat them in the microwave.
No Cook Or Skillet Sandwiches
Dips To Eat With Baked Tortilla Chips
Salads that are big enough for a meal
— pointers from Peggy