MyPyramid Changes to MyPlate
June 06, 2011 | Peggy Martin
Last week MyPyramid changed to MyPlate.
Dietitians and nutrition educators have been waiting for months for a new icon. We knew there was going to be a change, but the details were kept top secret. The new icon has a simple, but important message, we need foods from all five food groups at our meals AND half our plate should be fruits and vegetables. Unlike the MyPyramid icon that tried to convey many specific messages, this new icon is just supposed to remind us about healthy eating. Stay tuned as nutrition educators get innovative about how to use the new logo for breakfast and snacks as well as for meals.
There are lots of interesting programs on the ChooseMyPlate web site. You can find interactive tools to analyze your diet and exercise, plan your diet, plan your child’s diet, and compare calories and nutrition between two foods. Many of these activities will be rolled over to a new website planned to debut this fall.
- Choose MyPlate
- Add More Vegetables to Your Day
- Focus on Fruits
- Make Half Your Grains Whole
- Got Your Dairy Today?
- With Protein Foods, Variety Is Key
- Build a Healthy Meal
- Healthy Eating for Vegetarians
- Smart Shopping for Veggies and Fruits
- Liven up Your Meals With Vegetables and Fruits
- Kid-Friendly Veggies and Fruits
- Be a Healthy Role Model for Children
- Cut Back on Your Kid’s Sweet Treats
- Salt and Sodium
Pointers by Peggy