Mexican Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 2 cans (15 ounces) diced tomatoes (Mexican style)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 can (15 ounces) corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth OR 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Optional ingredients: baked tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, sliced or chopped avocado, light sour cream, shredded cheese
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin (if desired), and pepper to large saucepan.
- Remove and discard any visible fat from chicken. Cut chicken into large chunks and add to the saucepan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer (covered) for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate. Use forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to soup.
- Serve with choice of optional ingredients.
One cup of cooked dried beans (black, kidney, garbanzo) can be substituted for the canned, if desired.
This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker. Try Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup.
Nutrition Facts8 Servings Per Recipe
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 2.5g
- Saturated Fat 0.5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 40mg
- Sodium 590mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 4g
- Added Sugars
- Protein 19g
- Vitamin D 0mcg
- Calcium 45mg
- Iron 1.9mg
- Potassium 483mg
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
NA* - We are currently in the process of integrating the new FDA Nutrition Standards. Added Sugar information is not currently available for the recipe. We will be updating the information shortly.