Loaded Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 4 baked potatoes or 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cooked
- 1 tablespoon tub margarine
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped) (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- Optional garnishes: Sliced green onion, bacon bits, shredded cheese
- Remove skins and mash potatoes into small pieces to make about 3 cups. Set aside.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and green pepper, if desired. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Stir in milk, potatoes, peas, and pepper. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese slices. Cook and stir about 2 minutes until cheese melts. Add more milk if soup is thicker than you prefer.
- Add garnishes, if desired, and serve immediately.
Try this recipe with our Best Baked Potatoes as the base.
Using already cooked potatoes means you can have this soup ready to eat and on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Other frozen vegetables can be used instead of peas. Try corn, broccoli or mixed vegetables.
Nutrition Facts6 Servings Per Recipe
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 270mg
- Total Carbohydrates 35g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 6g
- Added Sugars
- Protein 10g
- Vitamin D 0.5mcg
- Calcium 218mg
- Iron 1.8mg
- Potassium 801mg
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
NA* - We are currently in the process of integrating the new FDA Nutrition Standards. Added Sugar information is not currently available for the recipe. We will be updating the information shortly.