Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
Serving Size: 2 tacos
- 1/2 cup light ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and chopped finely) (optional)
- 4 cups coleslaw mix or broccoli slaw
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 pound firm white fish (tilapia, swai, domestic mahi-mahi, or halibut), cut in 1" pieces or in 10 strips
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Stir together the dressing, lime juice, chili powder, pepper, and jalapeño (if desired). Pour over coleslaw mix and stir to mix well. Cover and place in refrigerator until serving time.
- Warm the corn tortillas according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Spread the cornmeal on a plate while the oil heats. Pat the fish pieces in the cornmeal to coat on all sides. Fry the fish in hot oil until the cornmeal is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Top each tortilla with some of the fish and some of the coleslaw mix. Fold in half and serve with the chopped tomato.
The jalapeño pepper in this recipe intensifies the flavor, but remember to wear gloves when handling it and do not touch your eyes or face because it will sting. If you don’t have disposable gloves, place your hands inside plastic bags. If desired, use hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper instead.
Nutrition Facts5 Servings Per Recipe
Serving Size: 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates 38g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 4g
- Added Sugars
- Protein 23g
- Vitamin D 2.8mcg
- Calcium 128mg
- Iron 1.9mg
- Potassium 532mg
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
NA* - We are currently in the process of integrating the new FDA Nutrition Standards. Added Sugar information is not currently avaliable for the recipe. We will be updating the information shortly.